The Department of History was founded in 1917 as the Historical-Philological Department. Today there are nine chairs at the department. In total there are 27 professors and doctors of science and 56 candidates of scientific work. The department is considered to be among the top three historical departments in Russia. Training is available in the following specialties: history, social-culture, service and tourism, and jurisprudence. An additional qualification is available as "interpreter in the sphere of professional communication". Courses include lectures and educational (archeological, museum, excursion) and industrial internships. The Department Philology was founded in 1917. It is one of the oldest philological centers of Russia. There are 137 instructors in the department working at 9 chairs. Among them are 15 professors and doctors of science and 60 candidates of science. Training at the department is available in three specialties: philology, journalism, and theoretical and applied linguistics. The chairs of Russian Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, German Language and Literature, and French Language and Literature" are available for those who are interested in philology as a major. Students can pursue additional specializations at the department as well. These opportunities include: "interpreter", "public relations", "Russian as a foreign language", "study of art", "information technologies in philology". There is also an Institute of Russian Language, Literature and Journalism and a school for young journalists at the department.