Saratov State University

Primary tabs

L.V. Sobinov Saratov State Conservatory - Architects A.Y. Yang, S.A. Kallistraratov, 1902. Reconstructed in 1912
In 2002 the Saratov State Conservatory named after Leonid Vitalyevich Sobinov celebrated its 90th anniversary. It was the first musical higher educational institution established in the province in 1912 after St. Petersburg and the Moscow Conservatories. In honor of Prince Alexei, heir to the throne, it was named the Saratov Alexei Conservatory attached to the Imperial Music Society. A significant contribution to the foundation of the Conservatory was made by the former governor of Saratov M.N. Galkin-Vrassky by Prince P.M. Volkonsky, princess M.A. Meshcherskaya and its first director - a brilliant pianist and composer S.K. Eksner. To commemorate the great Russian tenor L.V. Sobinov the conservatory bears his name since 1935. Many prominent musicians taught at the Conservatory from the very beginning of its existence. Today the Conservatory preserves the teaching traditions of many great Russian musicians such as D.D. Shostakovich, D.F. Oistrach, H.G. Neuhaus, M.L. Rostropovich, Y.A. Bashmet and others. Today the conservatory hosts the following departments. they include: Music History, Theory of Music and Composition, Special and General Piano, String and Wind, Solo Voice and Opera, Choir conducting, Folk-singing and Folklore, Department of Chamber Music Ensembles and Concertmaster Training, Humanities and Social and Economical Training & the Department of foreign Languages. In 1983 the theater faculty was set to prepare Thespians, cinema actors and puppeteers. The house designed by A.Y. Yang was built in 1902 and reconstructed in 1912 according to the project architect S.A. Kallistraratov specially by the opening of the Conservatory. The building of unique beauty is in the pseudo-gothic style. It is the symbol of Saratov and is considered to be an architectural monument of federal importance. Address: 1 Prospect Kirova, Saratov 410600, Russia Tel. (8452) 26-13-28 http://www.agniart.ru, Original version: Photograph of L.V. Sobinov Saratov State Conservatory - Architects A.Y. Y, Limited Liability Company, Publishing House Agni, Postcards of Saratov, Russia and Saratov State University. Representatives from the Saratov area contributed historic facts/figures to the publisher.
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University - Pavilion 1. Architect K.I. Myufke. 1914
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University is one of the oldest universities in Russia - it was established in December, 1909. Primarily it consisted of only one department-Medical Department. The famous surgeon from town Kasan V.I. Razumovsky was appointed to be the first Rector of the University. The chairs were headed by the scientists whose names were well-known in the scientific world. Nowadays SSU is one of the biggest educational and scientific centres in Russia. In Saratov State University there are 62 specialties of higher education, training is available at 28 departments. After completing a process of integration in 1998 several educational institutions were added into the University structure: Pedagogical Institute (SPI), Balashov Pedagogical Institute (BPI), College of Geology and College of Radioelectronics named after N.P. Yablochkov. Later affiliation of SSU in Astrakhan and College of Management and Service were established. Another 25 affiliations of the chairs are established on the base of the industrial enterprises, Scientific Research Institutions, banks and secondary schools of the city. Today Saratov State University faculty enrollment is 1422 instructors. Among then: 804 candidates and doctors of sciences, 216 professors, 27 academicians and corresponding-members of variuos state academies. The total SSU students enrollment number is 22345. Many collaborators and students were awarded "Soros foundation professor" statuses, "Soros foundation assistant professor" and "Soros foundation student" statuses. For the recent 5 years 156 grants have been won by SSU scientists for scientific research purposes.
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University - Pavilion 10 - Architect Y.K. Burmistrov, 2000
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University is one of the oldest universities in Russia - it was established in December, 1909. Primarily it consisted of only one department-Medical Department. The famous surgeon from town Kasan V.I. Razumovsky was appointed to be the first Rector of the University. The chairs were headed by the scientists whose names were well-known in the scientific world. Nowadays SSU is one of the biggest educational and scientific centres in Russia. In Saratov State University there are 62 specialties of higher education, training is available at 28 departments. After completing a process of integration in 1998 several educational institutions were added into the University structure: Pedagogical Institute (SPI), Balashov Pedagogical Institute (BPI), College of Geology and College of Radioelectronics named after N.P. Yablochkov. Later affiliation of SSU in Astrakhan and College of Management and Service were established. Another 25 affiliations of the chairs are established on the base of the industrial enterprises, Scientific Research Institutions, banks and secondary schools of the city. Today Saratov State University faculty enrollment is 1422 instructors. Among then: 804 candidates and doctors of sciences, 216 professors, 27 academicians and corresponding-members of variuos state academies. The total SSU students enrollment number is 22345. Many collaborators and students were awarded "Soros foundation professor" statuses, "Soros foundation assistant professor" and "Soros foundation student" statuses. For the recent 5 years 156 grants have been won by SSU scientists for scientific research purposes.
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University - Pavilion 5 - Architect N.K. Usov. 1953
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University is one of the oldest universities in Russia - it was established in December, 1909. Primarily it consisted of only one department-Medical Department. The famous surgeon from town Kasan V.I. Razumovsky was appointed to be the first Rector of the University. The chairs were headed by the scientists whose names were well-known in the scientific world. Nowadays SSU is one of the biggest educational and scientific centres in Russia. In Saratov State University there are 62 specialties of higher education, training is available at 28 departments. After completing a process of integration in 1998 several educational institutions were added into the University structure: Pedagogical Institute (SPI), Balashov Pedagogical Institute (BPI), College of Geology and College of Radioelectronics named after N.P. Yablochkov. Later affiliation of SSU in Astrakhan and College of Management and Service were established. Another 25 affiliations of the chairs are established on the base of the industrial enterprises, Scientific Research Institutions, banks and secondary schools of the city. Today Saratov State University faculty enrollment is 1422 instructors. Among then: 804 candidates and doctors of sciences, 216 professors, 27 academicians and corresponding-members of variuos state academies. The total SSU students enrollment number is 22345. Many collaborators and students were awarded "Soros foundation professor" statuses, "Soros foundation assistant professor" and "Soros foundation student" statuses. For the recent 5 years 156 grants have been won by SSU scientists for scientific research purposes.
N.I. Varilov Saratov State Agrarian University
N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University
P.N. Yablochkov College of Radio-Electronics
The P.N. Yablochkov College of Radio-Electronics of SSU names after N.G. Chernyshevsky is one of the oldest educational establishments in Russia. It was established in October, 1899 as a united secondary education technical college. In 1912 the college earned the highest prize in the international exhibition in Brussels and in 1972 it was recognized as the best college in the Soviet Union. In 1947 the technical school was named after N.P. Yablochkov, known as the inventory of the Russian lamp". In 1992 the technical school received college status and in 1998 the College of Radio-Electronics became part of Saratov State University. Majors include: technology of machine building; technical service and maintenance of equipment for electronic machinery production; technical operation, maintenance and repair of electronic and electromechanical devices; microelectronics and semiconductor devices; radio apparatus construction; technical maintenance and radio-electronic equipment repair; computing machines, complexes, systems and nets; and economics, accounting and monitoring.
Saratov State Medical University
The history of Saratov State University dates back to 1909 when it was part of Saratov Imperial University. In 1930 the medical faculty became an independent higher educational institution. Today the structural subdivisions of the University unite 70 chairs, 4 clinics, consultive and stomatology out-patient departments, Medical Lyceum, scientific research library, publishing center, scientific library and other departments providing educational, research and curing processes. The educational process includes also starting-up courses, post-graduate, and Doctorate programes. The University provides training in the following specialties: Therapy, Pediatrics, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Therapy-Prophylaxis, Nursing Education. The main form of training is full-time, and in the Nursing School there is also an evening department. Courses in Therapy and pediatrics run for six years, a course in Dentistry runs for five years and the training in the Nursing School runs for four years.
Saratov State Medical University - N.G. Chernyshevsky Saratov State University - Pavilion 1 - Architect K.L. Myufke. 1914
Saratov State Medical University was founded in 1909. The University provides training in the following specialties: therapy, pediatrics, dentistry, pharmacy, therapy-prophylaxis and nursing education. The main form of training is full-time and in the nursing school there is also an evening department. Course in therapy, pediatrics and therapy-prophylaxis run for 6 years. Coursework in dentistry runs for 5 years and training in the nursing school lasts for 4 years.
Saratov State SocioEconomic University. Architect V.V. Shibistov
Saratov State SocioEconomic University is one of the oldest economic higher educational institutions in Russia. One can trace it's origin back to the foundation of the Economic Institute in 1931. It gained it's modern name in 1999. In 1999 Saratov State SocioEconomic University became a member of the European University Group "Compostela". It will eventually result in international recognition of diplomas. The principle structure subdivisions of the university unite 5 full-time departments, the distance education department, 31 chairs, including 27 graduate chairs; post-graduate and Doctoral programs, publishing office, scientific library, Branches in towns including Astrakhan, Balashov, Balakovo, Mars and Petrovsk; Economic Institute of State Administration and Agriculture and Industry Business, Institute of Distance Education, Economic Lyceum and Economic College. Since 1998 the University provides additional training in the specialty "Interpreter in the Professional Communication Sphere." The university offers a variety of educational formats: full-time education, distance education and intensive courses. High quality of training is guaranteed by efficient faculty. 73.3% of the faculty posses scientific degrees. the university library houses more than 600 thousand volumes, including 2 thousand volumes of literature in foreign languages. The educating process is supported by the University computerized information and education centers with Internet classes. Out-of-town students are provided with room and board accommodations in the residence halls.
Saratov State University - Balashov Branch of Saratov State University
Balashov Branch of Saratov State University offers full-time and part-time educational opportunities to approximately four thousand students focusing on pedagogy through the department of Physics-Mathematics, Philology, Foreign Languages, Pedagogy, Psychology, Socialiology, Physical Training and Safety in Life Activities, Ecology and Biology, and Economics. The deparments contain nineteen (19) specialized chairs, a postgraduate school, and cultural-entertainment center. Additionally, Balashov provides residential opportunities to faculty and students in two dormitories.
Saratov State University - Balashov Branch of Saratov State University
Balashov Branch of Saratov State University offers full-time and part-time educational opportunities to approximately four thousand students focusing on pedagogy through the department of Physics-Mathematics, Philology, Foreign Languages, Pedagogy, Psychology, Socialiology, Physical Training and Safety in Life Activities, Ecology and Biology, and Economics. The deparments contain nineteen (19) specialized chairs, a postgraduate school, and cultural-entertainment center. Additionally, Balashov provides residential opportunities to faculty and students in two dormitories.
Saratov State University - College of Geology
The College of Geology, founded in 1929 as a geological exploration technical school, prepares specialists through full-time and part-time educational offerings in departments including, Economics and Law, Oil Geodesics, and Staff Preparation on Compensation. The College offers twenty-five (25) study rooms, four (4) computer classes, twenty-one (21) laboratories, a practical workshop, a museum of geology, and an internet center. In addition to 60,000 textbooks and periodicals in two exchange systems and a sixty (60) seat reading room, the College Library provides internet connectivity through the SSU network. There is a first-aid office and a dentist office for students and staff in the college.
Saratov State University - Department of Biology and Department of Computer Sciences and information Technology (CSIT)
The Department of Biology was established in 1931, and currently houses seven chairs including Morphology and Ecology of Animals, Botany and Ecology, Genetics, Biochemistry and Biophysics, Human and Animal Physiology; Microbiology and Plant Physiology; Methods of Teaching Biology and Ecology. The Biology Department offers three majors: Biology, Ecology, Biology with a Chemistry specialization, and nine postgraduate majors. The Department of Computer Sciences and information Technology (CSIT) combines four chairs, including Mathematical, Cybernetics, and Computer Sciences, Theoretical Fundamentals of Informatics and Information Technologies, System Analysis and Automatized Management; Theoretical Fundamentals of Computer Security and Code Science. The CSIT Department offers three majors including, applied mathematics and informatics, computers, complexes, systems and networks, and computer security as well as four specializations available at the department: mathematics and software for computers, research of operations and systems analysis, mathematical methods and program software for computers; research of operations and systems analysis; mathematical methods and program software for security (protection); and computers, systems complexes and networks.
Saratov State University - Department of Geography
The Department of Geography, founded in 1938, consists of four chairs, including geomorphology and geology, physical geography of the landscape, ecology, economic geography, and meteorology and climate science The department offers three specialties and seven specializations. Scientific research is conducted through the use of the urban ecology laboratory, geoinformation study, subject map-making, and meteorology study laboratories. The Geography Department focuses on research within the Saratov region in the areas of landscape, ecological and recreational use, climate resources, territorial systems using geoinformational system technologies, energy danger zones and geodynamics, territorial development specifics of social and economic structures of Russian society, and radiation balance of the Earth. Funding for scientific research includes sources such as "Universities of Russia" and "Astronomy" grants and programs.
Saratov State University - Department of Geology and the Department of Chemistry
The Department of Geology was founded by the outstanding scientists Professor P.P. Pilipenko, Professor B.A. Mozharovsky, Techtonist G.V. Vakhrushev and A.I. Olli. The Department has graduated 7000 specialists/geologists over the past 70 years including many outstanding scientists and enterprise managers. Today the Geology department includes the following chairs: Petrography and Mineralogy, General Geology and Minerals, Historical Geology and Minerals, Historical Geology and Paleontology, Geology and Geochemistry of Combustible Minerals, Geophysics, Genecology, Hydrogeology, and Engineering Geology. The Department of Chemistry, established in the fall of 1929, includes seven chairs that offer two specialties, eight specializations, and a Doctor and Candidate of Science degree(s) thesis committee. All of these programs are guided by nineteen professors who hold Doctors of Science degrees. Many outstanding scientists either are or have been affiliated with the Chemistry Department, including V.V. Chelintsev, V.G. Kharchenko, R.V. Mertslin, A.L. Lvov, A.A. Ponomarev, L.M. Kulberg and I.S. Mustafin.
Saratov State University - Department of History and the Department of Philology
The Department of History was founded in 1917 as the Historical-Philological Department. Today there are nine chairs at the department. In total there are 27 professors and doctors of science and 56 candidates of scientific work. The department is considered to be among the top three historical departments in Russia. Training is available in the following specialties: history, social-culture, service and tourism, and jurisprudence. An additional qualification is available as "interpreter in the sphere of professional communication". Courses include lectures and educational (archeological, museum, excursion) and industrial internships. The Department Philology was founded in 1917. It is one of the oldest philological centers of Russia. There are 137 instructors in the department working at 9 chairs. Among them are 15 professors and doctors of science and 60 candidates of science. Training at the department is available in three specialties: philology, journalism, and theoretical and applied linguistics. The chairs of Russian Language and Literature, English Language and Literature, German Language and Literature, and French Language and Literature" are available for those who are interested in philology as a major. Students can pursue additional specializations at the department as well. These opportunities include: "interpreter", "public relations", "Russian as a foreign language", "study of art", "information technologies in philology". There is also an Institute of Russian Language, Literature and Journalism and a school for young journalists at the department.
Saratov State University - Department of Humanitarian an Social Sciences; Department of Humanitarian and Social Sciences; Department of Philosophy
Saratov State University's Departments of Mechanics & Mathematics - IX Building The Department of Mechanics and Mathematics was established September 1, 1945 and has grown from the initial five chairs with fifty students to become one of the largest SSU departments. It currently houses twelve (12) chairs, approximately 150 instructors of whom 72 are candidates and 22 are doctors of science. The faculty's qualifications make this department one of the leading Departments of Mechanics and Mathematics in Russia. Majors offered through this department include mathematics and informatics, applied mathematics and informatics, mechanics, applied informatics (in economy), and applied informatics (in jurisprudence). The Department of Humanitarian and Social Sciences combines 3 chairs: Political Science, Psychology and Economic Theory and Natural Economics. The following majors are available: psychology, paleontology, economic theory and national economy. There are 14 Doctors of Science among the 46 instructors in the department. Each chair of the department is provided with a scientific educational laboratory. The Department of Philosophy encompasses 26 faculty members in three chairs including Theoretical and Social Philosophy, Philosophy of Culture and Cultural Science and, Philosophy and Methodology of Science. It offers majors in philosophy and cultural science through full-time and part-time educational programs.
Saratov State University - Department of Humanitarian an Social Sciences; Department of Humanitarian and Social Sciences; Department of Philosophy
Saratov State University's Departments of Mechanics & Mathematics - IX Building The Department of Mechanics and Mathematics was established September 1, 1945 and has grown from the initial five chairs with fifty students to become one of the largest SSU departments. It currently houses twelve (12) chairs, approximately 150 instructors of whom 72 are candidates and 22 are doctors of science. The faculty's qualifications make this department one of the leading Departments of Mechanics and Mathematics in Russia. Majors offered through this department include mathematics and informatics, applied mathematics and informatics, mechanics, applied informatics (in economy), and applied informatics (in jurisprudence). The Department of Humanitarian and Social Sciences combines 3 chairs: Political Science, Psychology and Economic Theory and Natural Economics. The following majors are available: psychology, paleontology, economic theory and national economy. There are 14 Doctors of Science among the 46 instructors in the department. Each chair of the department is provided with a scientific educational laboratory. The Department of Philosophy encompasses 26 faculty members in three chairs including Theoretical and Social Philosophy, Philosophy of Culture and Cultural Science and, Philosophy and Methodology of Science. It offers majors in philosophy and cultural science through full-time and part-time educational programs.
Saratov State University - Department of Nonlinear Processes
The Department of Nonlinear Processes contains the chairs of Electronics, Oscillation and Wave, Nonlinear Physics, Dynamic Systems, and Biophysics, all for which emphasize the main departmental focus of "the foundation of Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) device projections", combining scientific research and the education process. Nonlinear Processes Department graduate students are provided real-work opportunities to work effectively in different spheres of business and production and learn to work with dynamic market conditions. Departmental students have been recipients of grants from Russian and international programmes including RFFI, CDRF, as well as "Universities of Russia" and FAP "Integration". Abstract
Saratov State University - Department of Nonlinear Processes
The Department of Nonlinear Processes contains the chairs of Electronics, Oscillation and Wave, Nonlinear Physics, Dynamic Systems, and Biophysics, all for which emphasize the main departmental focus of "the foundation of Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) device projections", combining scientific research and the education process. Nonlinear Processes Department graduate students are provided real-work opportunities to work effectively in different spheres of business and production and learn to work with dynamic market conditions. Departmental students have been recipients of grants from Russian and international programmes including RFFI, CDRF, as well as "Universities of Russia" and FAP "Integration".
Saratov State University - Department of Physics
The Department of Physics has grown since being established in July 1945, has thirteen chairs that offer students eight specialties including: "Physics Engineer"; Physics (teacher of physics)"; Radio-physics and electronics; Microelectronics and semiconductor electronics and Physics. The dedicated faculty members of the Physics Department consist of over forty professors, and approximately seventy assistant professors, seven honored workers of science of the Russian Federation and two laureates of the Russian Federation Award. They provide undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate education, including three dissertation councils for the doctoral degree.
Saratov State University - Department of Physics
The Department of Physics has grown since being established in July 1945, has thirteen chairs that offer students eight specialties including: "Physics Engineer"; Physics (teacher of physics)"; Radio-physics and electronics; Microelectronics and semiconductor electronics and Physics. The dedicated faculty members of the Physics Department consist of over forty professors, and approximately seventy assistant professors, seven honored workers of science of the Russian Federation and two laureates of the Russian Federation Award. They provide undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate education, including three dissertation councils for the doctoral degree.
Saratov State University - Nikolai Gavrilovich Chernyshevsky
Since 1922 Saratov State University has been named after N.G. Chernyshevsky who lived from 1828 - 1889. Chernyshevsky, Nikolai Gavrilovich Chernyshevsky, Nikolai Gavrilovich (nyikuli' guvre'luvich chernishef'ske) was a Russian socialist reformer. He was the leading disciple of Vissarion Belinsky inside Russia; from 1853 to 1857 he wrote for the radical journal Contemporary, presenting and expanding the principles of Belinsky, who himself also wrote for the journal. Chernyshevsky advocated basic agrarian reform and emancipation of the serfs, and he envisioned the village commune as a transition to socialism. In 1862 he was arrested and was later sent to Siberia. In prison he formulated his ideas in the vastly influential novel What Is to be Done? (1863, rev. tr. 1961). His Selected Philosophical Works was published in English in Moscow in 1953. Chernyshevsky is looked upon as a forerunner of the Russian revolutionary movement.
Saratov State University - Saratov State Academy of Law
Saratov State Academy of Law is one of the most prestigious University Colleges providing juridical educations in the Russian Federation. It ranks 4th out of 300 accredited Law Universities in Russia. Founded in 1931 as Saratov Judicial Institution, the academy was later renamed the Saratov State Academy of Law (SSAL). The academy is a member of the Law Universities Association (Moscow) and the Interregional Association of Law Schools (St. Petersburg). The academy currently has 577 lecturers and teachers, including 60 professors (Doctors of Science) and 282 professors (Candidates of Science) working in three different departments, divisions and other academic units. Currently the Academy enrolls more than 14,345 students, offering a variety of educational formats to meet their diverse needs: full-time education, Part-time education, Distance Education, Abbreviated courses for study for continuing education and Graduate School. There are more than 70 Institutes and Departments in the Academy.
Saratov State University - Teacher's Training Institute
Teacher's Training Institute of Saratov State University The history of the institute originates in 1918, when the Teachers Training Institute was incorporated into the two-year Teacher's Institute, which had existed in Saratov since 1913. For many years it existed as a separate educational institution and as a University Department. Today the Teacher's Training Institute is a structural part of SSU. More than 270 highly qualified instructors in the 6 faculties of the institute teach the students in 3 majors and 17 specializations. Department in the institute include: Russian Philology; Foreign Languages; Primary Education; Music Education; Correctional Methods and Special Psychology; and Physical Education.
Saratov State University - Teacher's Training Institute
Teacher's Training Institute of Saratov State University The history of the institute originates in 1918, when the Teachers Training Institute was incorporated into the two-year Teacher's Institute, which had existed in Saratov since 1913. For many years it existed as a separate educational institution and as a University Department. Today the Teacher's Training Institute is a structural part of SSU. More than 270 highly qualified instructors in the 6 faculties of the institute teach the students in 3 majors and 17 specializations. Department in the institute include: Russian Philology; Foreign Languages; Primary Education; Music Education; Correctional Methods and Special Psychology; and Physical Education.
Saratov State University Dormitories
Saratov State University Dormitories accommodate up to 1,302 nonresident students in five dormitories with accumulative space of 16,660 square meters. Services provided in the dormitories include a student preventative health service capable of accommodating seventy-five people at a time and a dining facility with an eighty person capability that provides hot meals for students, faculty and staff members. Medical services for SSU students and staff members are provided in the first-aid clinic that is located on the first floor of Building 7 of the University.
Saratov State University V.A. Artisevich Regional Scientific Library
The Saratov State University V.A. Artisevich Regional Scientific Library contains approximately 3 million volumes including 50 thousand rare and valuable books, more than 3 thousand manuscripts and approximately 2 million Krill Publishing House books dating from the fifteenth through the eighteenth centuries and ten incunabulum (works of art or industry dating before 1501). The library holdings are managed through a traditional card catalog system an electronic library catalog and supplemented via full text databases with approximately 10 thousand foreign periodical editions and a database of mainly regional information. The 9960 square meters of library floor space offer 746 seats, including twelve (12) reading halls, and interlibrary loan services through 6 library exchanges. The library also houses the Russian Library Association (RLA) headquarters. These assets have established the SSU Regional Scientific Library as one of the leading SSU subdivisions, providing literature and information for scientific research and educational processes as well as a methodological center for high school libraries of the Low and Middle Volga Regions.
Sobinov Saratov State Conservatory - Great Concert Hall
The Conservatory Great Concert Hall is remarkable for the richness of its interior, excellent acoustic properties and exclusive design. Many famous musicians gave concerts in the Conservatory Great Concert Hall -- such as H.G. Neuhaus, S.T. Rikhter, D.F. Oistrakh, M.L. Rostropovich. F.I. Shalyapin and L.V. Sobinov sang there. Mayakovsky recited his verses in the Hall. Many composers performed their own works in the Great Concert Hall of the Conservancy including S.V. Rakhmaninov, A.N. Skryabin, S.S. Prokofyev, G.V. Sviridov, R.K. Shchedrin and A.G. Shnitke were among them. In 1985 the Conservancy Great Concert Hall was supplemented with a concert organ made by a well-known German company "Zauer".
Volga Region P.A. Stolypin Academy of Civil Service
The Volga Region Academy of civil Service named after P.A. Stolypin (PAGS) is located in Saratov, a large industrial and cultural center founded in 1590 and situated on the Volga River. As one of the most culturally significant cities in Russia, Saratov boasts a large variety of higher educational institutions, several theaters and museums including the Radishchev Art Gallery, a prestigious conservatory. PAGS is a state research and higher education institution that trains, retrains and upgrades civil service officials for the Volga Region. Founded in 1991 as the Volga Region Personal Training Center, in 1995 it was named the Volga Region Academy of Civil Service under the President of the Russian Federation on April 2, 2002. PAGS is a diverse institution with 6 departments, college graduate courses. It includes the following centers: Analysis of Contemporary Issues in Civil Service; Development of Student Creative Activities; German Language Center; Information and Technical Center, Business Training Center/Morozov Project, Russian-French Institute of Regional Administration. The Academy has satellite campuses in Samara, Togliatti, Tambov, Ulyanovsk, Balakovo and missions in Tartarstan Republic and Penza. The Academy faculty currently has 269 members including a variety of educational formats: full-time education, correspondence courses, abbreviated courses for undergraduates and university and university graduates receiving another higher education degree. PAGS campus includes 4 academic buildings, 2 dormitories with dining rooms, a sports center, and a student club. Today PAGS is one of the few institutions in Russia that integrates the economic, judicial and liberal arts disciplines essential for officials and public administration specialists facing rapidly changing conditions of social and economic life.